Victim Syndrome (Fenichel, 1945; Zur, 1994).
These are people who always complain about the bad things that happen in their lives, due to circumstances beyond their control. Nothing feels right to them.
The practice of denying the existence, truth, or validity of something despite proof or strong evidence that it is real, true, or valid
You can never be a ‘loser’ because it is always the fault of others.
It can be applied to anything, after all it’s not your fault.
- You haven’t had your fair share of the American Dream? Take it easy, it’s their fault.
- You lost an election? They cheated.
- You beat your wife? No problem, it’s her fault.
- Rape? Her dress was too short.
- You haven’t won the lottery? It’s rigged.
- Climate change? The scientists are making money off a lie.
- Covid-19? A hoax by doctors to get more money.
It has a sort of twisted appeal if you are a sociopath. The President himself being the perfect role model.
- Racist? I wouldn’t be if they were not all criminals.
- Misogynist? I wouldn’t be, but they all want too much.
- Homophobe? Well, if they would do such disgusting things, you know, with their clothes on I have no problem.
A weird thing, sick even, to build a whole political movement upon.
Now, how to cure it?