By Debra Schrishuhn for Mike F., Mike H., Dr. Bill, Janis, Dan, Kimberly, Bryan, Donna, Judy, and Shayna—Your PDA National Team
This week, sham hearings for Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee and deadly storms—and Trump’s lies about them—dominated the news cycle. Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) strongly opposes the confirmation of extremist, dishonest, hyper-partisan Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court.
PDA helped empower activists to contact the Senate Judiciary committee and their own Senators to stop Kavanaugh. Our efforts are making a real difference! The Republicans had to delay their committee vote! Please keep calling all of the committee members and both of your Senators!
Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121
An operator will connect you with your Senators
As PDA activists create “street heat” to draw attention and visibility to issues ranging from Medicare for All, Climate Change, the devastation in Puerto Rico, and standing up for DACA recipients and immigrant families to the need to protect our rights by resisting Trump and opposing Brett Kavanaugh, we use a lot of rally signs, stickers, and other materials. We ship these organizing tools all over the country as needed by our activists. We need your help now so we can continue to amplify your message. Please give generously one time or preferably each month to support our materials fund.
Also last week, PDA-style Progressives won key primary elections, including former PDA Rhode Island Chapter leader Sam Bell’s victory. Sam was instrumental in exposing the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) illegal election activity in his state. He is poised to bring his skillful and creative leadership to the Rhode Island State Senate, and he’s bringing several other grassroots progressives with him! We saw similar successes on the state level in New York. Progressives are on the move!
PDA and our sister organization People Demanding Action conducted our Educate Congress letter drops, with activists hand-delivering letters underscoring opposition to Kavanaugh and advocating for strong progressive legislation. These letter drops are very effective. Our activists helped generate decisive opposition to the Trans Pacific Partnership, and gained dozens of new cosponsors for legislation like H.R. 676, the Improved Medicare For All Act. Please contact Mike Fox if you’re interested in joining the PDA letter drop team, and he’ll get you involved. No time to letter drop? Then please pop for $100, $25–whatever you can afford—to keep our activists organizing in home states and districts as well as on Capitol Hill.
Please call and help spread the word—we must stop Kavanaugh’s appointment to Supreme Court. Kavanaugh has not been thoroughly vetted, since only 10% of his papers have been released. He has a serious ethical dark cloud over him, including credible allegations of perjury sexual misconduct and excessive gambling that must be investigated thoroughly and deliberately.
Kavanaugh would force America into far rightwing extremism for decades, erasing reproductive rights, unleashing assault weapons onto our streets, ending freedom on the Internet, sabotaging climate and environmental protections, undermining election integrity, and promoting a nearly unlimited view of presidential power. He was certainly involved in the Bush administration’s war-mongering and torture justifications.
The Tide Is Turning! Keep Calling Daily! Here are the DC numbers of the whole Judiciary Committee—keep calling their offices daily to ask for a delay until after Election Day and the new Senate is convened in January 2019–as the “McConnell Rule” requires:
Republicans on Judiciary
• Chuck Grassley, IA, Chairman (202) 224-3744—leans Yes
• Orrin Hatch, UT (202) 224-5251-Yes
• Lindsey Graham, SC (202) 224-5972—Yes
• John Cornyn, TX (202) 224-2934–Yes
• Mike Lee, UT (202) 224-5444—leans Yes, but willing to work to get more documents released
• Ted Cruz, TX (202) 224-5922—Yes
• Ben Sasse, NE (202) 224-4224–leans Yes
• Jeff Flake, AZ (202 224-4521—leans Yes
• Mike Crapo, ID (202) 224-6142—Yes
• Thom Tillis, NC (202) 224-6342—Yes
John Kennedy, LA (202) 224-4623—Yes
Democrats on Judiciary
• Dianne Feinstein, CA, Ranking Member (202 224-6551—leans No
• Patrick Leahy, VT (202) 224-4242-Leans No
• Dick Durbin, IL (202) 224-2152—Leans No
• Sheldon Whitehouse, RI (202 224-2921—No
• Amy Klobuchar, MN (202) 224-3244—No
• Chris Coons, DE (202) 224-5042—leans No
• Richard Blumenthal, CT (202) 224-2823—No
• Mazie Hirono, HI (202) 224-6361—No
• Cory Booker, NJ (202) 224-3224—No
• Kamala Harris, CA (202) 224-3553 —No
In Addition, keep pressure on these waffling Senators:
• Manchin-D-WV—202-2243954—I spoke with a staffer at his district office who was enthusiastic about passing along my “vote No” message to the Senator
• Collins-R-ME—202-224-2523 —getting huge amount of pressure to vote No and $1 million+ has been pledged for her opponent if she votes Yes
• Nelson D-FL running in a tight race for re-election, Florida is at or just above sea level, and stands to lose more lives and property than any other state if Kavanaugh’s climate denial takes hold on the Supreme Court. (202) 224-5274
Secondary (lean Yes):
• Ernst -R-IA—202-224-3254
We have an extra week—let’s not waste it!
Thank you for all you do!
Debra Schrishuhn for Mike F., Mike H., Dr. Bill, Janis, Dan, Kimberly, Bryan, Donna, Judy, and Shayna—Your PDA National Team
P.S. We’re here to help you make progress in your state and locality! If you need help organizing a new PDA chapter or energizing your existing chapter, please contact PDA Field Coordinator Dan O’Neal. Join the PDA Phone Team making easy, effective calls from your own home with Mike “Phone Guy” Fox. Also please pitch in $1000, $100, or whatever you can afford to support our organizing.
The Politicus is a collaborative political community that facilitates content creation directly on the site. Our goal is to make the political conversation accessible to everyone.Any donations we receive will go into writer outreach. That could be advertising on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit or person-to-person outreach on College campuses. Please help if you can: