Why hasn't Texas become a Democratic stronghold the way California has despite similar demographic characteristics?
Texas and California have somewhat similar demographic characteristics. They have:
- A large Hispanic population
- Younger than average populations
- White individuals only make up slightly under 1 out of 2 eligible voters in 2020
- Large populations in general
- Large cities (though Texas has a lot more rural population, which helped keep it red in 2016 and 2020)
Yes, Texas has been trending Democratic in recent years, and that trend is tending to accelerate, with the exception of 2020 which was slowed down because of voting shifts among certain demographic groups, which may be temporary.
People have wondered what makes California a Democratic stronghold. Why is Texas not a solidly Democratic state the way California is?