Why has India abstained on the UN Security Council resolution condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine?
The Finantial Times published India sticks with Russia after Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine on the India stance, some details mentioned there:
- India depends on Russia for crucial commodities such as energy and fertiliser
- Russia’s support is seen as vital to managing India’s unresolved confrontation with China on its northern Himalayan border
- the Soviet Union is credited as having helped India win its 1971 war with Pakistan over Bangladesh
- India might not want to push Putin to further strengthen his alliance with China
- some 65 per cent of arms transferred to India between 1950 and 2020 were from the Soviet Union or Russia