Punk Plutocrat sprung a stooge, but like gaslight under a bushel, Stone cannot hide under a rock
“Unprecedented, historic corruption: an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president.” — Mitt Romney
The United States is supposed to be a place in which laws apply equally to all. And while it never has — and never will — live up to that ideal in full, no modern president before Mr. Trump has so clearly renounced it. The president seems to be doing his best, within the confines of the U.S. constitutional system, to emulate the gangster leadership of Russian President Vladimir Putin, a man whose ruinous reign Mr. Trump has always admired. If the country needed any more evidence, Friday confirmed that the greatest threat to the Republic is the president himself.STATEMENT FROM THE PRESS SECRETARY REGARDING EXECUTIVE GRANT OF CLEMENCY FOR ROGER STONE, JR.“Today, President Donald J. Trump signed an Executive Grant of Clemency commuting the unjust sentence of Roger Stone, Jr. Roger Stone is a victim of the Russia Hoax that the Left and its allies in the media perpetuated for years in an attempt to undermine the Trump Presidency.”
- The Russia investigation was not a hoax, and it did not originate from Democrats or the media. The investigation began in July 2016 after the FBI received a tip about potential coordination between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. The FBI director at the time was James Comey, a Republican.
- Later, after Trump fired Comey in May 2017, the Trump-appointed Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Robert Mueller as special counsel to continue the investigation. Rosenstein and Mueller are both Republicans. The Justice Department inspector general said the probe was legally opened in 2016.“There was never any collusion between the Trump Campaign, or the Trump Administration, with Russia. Such collusion was never anything other than a fantasy of partisans unable to accept the result of the 2016 election. The collusion delusion spawned endless and farcical investigations, conducted at great taxpayer expense, looking for evidence that did not exist.”
- Mueller's final report did not conclude that there “was never any collusion.” Collusion is not a legal term. Mueller investigated whether any Trump associates criminally conspired with Russians regarding the election. Mueller said the investigation “did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”
- The investigation did unearth dozens of contacts between Trump campaign associates and Russians, even though Trump repeatedly denied to the public that there was any communication before the election.
What Trump did at his 276th golf day:
Trump claims he will wear a mask at Walter Reed today.
- Roger Stone welcomes a commutation noting he resisted pressure to “turn” on Trump — legally, you can’t turn on someone unless they did something.
- Note after Trump & Barr’s unusual interventions, and judge-ordered covid releases:
- Now *none* of the senior figures convicted of felonies in the Mueller probe are incarcerated. (Manafort, Flynn, Stone.)
- This undercuts criminal accountability far more than Nixon in Watergate.
- Now under precedent, a President’s federal commutation is generally presumed lawful. It’s a very high bar to question it *in court.*
- But as everyone was reminded during the impeachment trial, the allegation of a *Presidential high crime* is more for Congress than court.
- Trump was impeached for obstruction — and keeping a defendant out of jail who talks about “turning” on you *can* be evidence of obstruction.
Impeachment 2.0 ahead if Trump wins re-election. #MoreCorpulentNixon