Received this e-mail today from Democracy for America:
Yesterday, Senators Cory Booker and Kamala Harris, in conjunction with the Congressional Black Caucus, announced sweeping legislation to reform policing in America.
The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 is an important step forward in re-imagining policing and holding law enforcement accountable nationwide. The key reforms in this bill include:
- Setting a strict national standard for use of force by police officers
- Expanding the Department of Justice’s ability to conduct investigations into police departments nationwide
- Establishing a national police misconduct database and requiring states to report use-of-force incidents to the DOJ
- Banning the use of chokeholds as well as “no-knock” warrants in drug cases at the federal level
- Limiting the transfer of military equipment to police departments
- Making lynching a federal crime
We can and must do more to re-imagine the ways in which we keep our communities safe and healthy. That includes investing more money in public schools, universal health care, and robust mental health and social services.
And the Justice in Policing Act is an important step forward in holding police accountable in America.
Thank you for raising your voice in this fight.
Yvette Simpson, CEO
Democracy for America