Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican minority leader, had a strategy for his party: use his extensive knowledge of Senate procedure to slow things down, take advantage of the difficulties Democrats would have in governing and deny Democrats any Republican support on big legislation.
“If I’m still the majority leader in the Senate think of me as the Grim Reaper. None of that stuff is going to pass,” McConnell said while speaking to community leaders in Owensboro, Ky.
McConnell noted that if Republicans win back the House or President Trump wins reelection “that takes care of it.” But he pledged that even if Republicans lose the White House, he would use his position as majority leader to block progressive proposals…
“I guarantee you that if I’m the last man standing and I’m still the majority leader, it ain’t happening. I can promise you,” McConnell added.
Yet under Trump
Under McConnell’s leadership, the Senate, far from providing a check on the executive branch, has acted as an accelerant.
- It doesn’t matter how many die from Covid-19. 290,000 and counting, no problem.
- It doesn’t matter how many lose their jobs, no problem.
- It doesn’t matter how many become destitute, no problem.
- It doesn’t matter what chaos is sown, no problem.
- Recognize the election results, no.
Kentucky will still keep voting him in.
Biden hopes he can work with this asshole?