Something strange is going on over undocumented immigrants. President Biden’s acting secretary of Homeland Security, David Pekoske, issued a memo on January 20 halting almost all deportation proceedings for 100 days:
I’ve gone over the memo several times, and it is very clear: deportation proceedings are to be suspended for the next 100 days while new policies are worked out. There are a few exceptions:
The pause on removals applies to any noncitizen present in the United States when this directive takes effect with a final order of removal except one who:
- According to a written finding by the Director of ICE, has engaged in or is suspected of terrorism or espionage, or otherwise poses a danger to the national security of the United States; or
- Was not physically present in the United States before November 1, 2020; or
- Has voluntarily agreed to waive any rights to remain in the United States,provided that he or she has been made fully aware of the consequences of waiver and has been given a meaningful opportunity to access counsel prior to signing the waiver;or
- For whom the Acting Director of ICE, following consultation with the General Counsel, makes an individualized determination that removal is required by law. [footnotes omitted]
There is nothing in the memo about releasing anyone pending this review. However, it seems Fox News has heard otherwise:
“Tucker Carlson Tonight” has since obtained an internal email sent Thursday to ICE officers in Texas that shows how the order was enacted.
“As of midnight tonight, stop all removals,” the email reads. “This includes Mexican bus runs, charter flights and commercial removals (until further notice) … all cases are to be considered [no significant likelihood of removal in foreseeable future].”
The email goes on to say: “Release them all, immediately. No sponsor available is not acceptable any longer.”
I can’t find any link to the text of the email, and I can’t find any news items about it that aren’t from the usual RWNJ.
There is absolutely no way Biden or any of his hires would have done this. It is insanity. It also feeds straight into the far-right propaganda. (I found out about this from a Facebook fight.) I see two possibilities:
1) Carlson lied. (Duh.)
2) A mole Trump left behind in DHS is responsible.
If anyone has heard anything about this, post it here, please. I’ll update as necessary.