Last updated on January 21, 2021
Trying to “hang” their Vice President and kill “their” cops may have brought an end to the 170 year two-party duopoly. Their GOP/conservative media has already made the split.
What is the GOP after Trump? The shell-shocked party is split over the path forward. https://t.co/NgsiYGpFMT
— Capital Journal (@WSJPolitics) January 8, 2021
— Jim VandeHei (@JimVandeHei) January 12, 2021
Why it matters: The future of the Republican Party, in part, hangs on whether fringe conservative media or traditional conservative commentary will dominate with audiences.
Driving the news: Fox News said Monday it will replace its 7 p.m. evening news hour hosted by Martha MacCallum with a right-wing opinion show.
- The move was made in response to ratings pressure, CNN reports.
- Fox has faced growing competition from fringe-right cable news networks like Newsmax and OANN — networks that look more like Fox’s opinion programming than its news shows.
On the other side, Cumulus Media, home to many right-wing radio personalities, has told hosts to stop suggesting the election was stolen, the Washington Post reports.
- Brian Philips, EVP of content for Cumulus, wrote in an internal memo obtained by Inside Music Media that the company “will not tolerate any suggestion that the election has not ended. The election has been resolved and there are no alternate acceptable ‘paths.’ ”
Be smart: Fox News’ update is notable given that other right-wing entities owned by Rupert Murdoch have decided to publicly disavow the president.
- The Wall Street Journal editorial board wrote a piece urging Trump to resign last week. Late last month, the New York Post said Trump was “cheering for an undemocratic coup” with his efforts to overturn the election he lost.
- CNN reports that Murdoch was directly involved in the decision-making around the Fox News lineup shakeup.
THE COUP LIVES: Trump may or may not be crazy enough to invoke The Insurrection Act, declare Martial Law, and insist China and Iran stole the election.
But as late as this afternoon he was ADVISED to do so by @realmikelindell – The MyDictatorship Guy.
Do not let your guard down pic.twitter.com/571Rvvzalc
— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) January 16, 2021
The Politicus is a collaborative political community that facilitates content creation directly on the site. Our goal is to make the political conversation accessible to everyone.Any donations we receive will go into writer outreach. That could be advertising on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit or person-to-person outreach on College campuses. Please help if you can: