Heather Digby Parton posits that the U.S. Senate may actually hold a trial on any impeachment articles approved by the House (Sorry, but I can’t find the link at this time). This is not for any constitutional reason. Trump may demand that he be acquitted by the Republican senators. Republicans have caved to every demand of Trump, and Trump’s fragile ego will NOT allow him to be charged with any crime. In Trump’s mind, he is as innocent as a newborn babe.
What’s the evidence behind this line of reasoning?
- Lawfare blog has a long list of Trump’s Tweets and other statements on “The Russia Hoax.” The stopped the list at the end of 2018. But these statements and tweets go all the way back to 2013.
- After the Mueller Report came out, Trump falsely claimed that there was no collusion with Russia or obstruction of justice. And Attorney General William Barr was tasked with doing an investigation of the Russia probe by Trump. This goes to Trump’s allegations that the whole impetus of the Russia probe was to hurt him in the 2016 Election and was illegal.
- On that matter of Barr’s investigation of the Russia probe:
Attorney General William Barr has held private meetings with foreign intelligence officials in an attempt to discredit ongoing investigations into Russian interference with the 2016 elections, the Washington Post reports.
The investigation reveals the administration’s troubling dedication to investigating adversaries, the Post reports:Current and former intelligence and law enforcement officials expressed frustration and alarm Monday that the head of the Justice Department was taking such a direct role in re-examining what they view as conspiracy theories and baseless allegations of misconduct.
Barr reportedly made personal appeals to British intelligence officials, Italian officials, and Australian officials to help discredit the Mueller investigation, the report says.
- It has been widely reported that Trump asked the Australian PM to investigate the origins of the Russia probe.
- And Trump wanted the Ukrainian President Zelensky to manufacture data that proved it was not Russia that hacked into the DNC computers. It was Ukraine.
As you can see, even though Trump was not going to be impeached over his collusion with Vladimir Putin during the 2016 Election, Trump simply could not let this issue go. Sure there was a report in print that laid out how Trump obstructed the Russia probe, but there were no real political repurcussions for Trump. However, Trump cannot stand the fact he was investigated. Period.
Imagine how Trump is going to react when the Democrats in the House impeach him?
While the safe bet is for Moscow Mitch to hold a kangaroo court and quickly dismiss any articles of impeachment, does it seem — pardon the word — reasonable for Trump to be satisfied with a quick dismissal? This is Trump we are talking about. A smart man would take blocking the articles of impeachment or a quick dismissal by the Senate and call it a day. Phew! That’s over with!
But after Mueller testified before Congress and made for a lousy witness, Trump took that as a victory that he could get foreign assistance AGAIN for the next election. He literally was on the phone the NEXT DAY to President Zelensky extorting him to manufacture dirt on Joe Biden. Normal people who have a brush with the law try to avoid repeating the same mistake. Not Trump.
Trump is his worst enemy, and he may demand to be acquitted by Moscow Mitch.