Axios gives us a map of Trumpian sycophancy with the consistent “always Trumpers” in Congress as Trump goes back on the road to more super-spreader events in swing states.
Tonight’s Trump remarks:
We created the Trump Loyalty Index to measure, in empirical terms, how loyal each Republican member of Congress has been to President Trump throughout his time in office.
Why it matters: The data shows how Trump’s grip on the Republican Party has tightened — especially in the last two years — as his dissenters have largely piped down, been tossed out, or currently face the threat of losing re-election.
How it works: The Trump Loyalty Index, built over the past year by Juliet Bartz of “Axios on HBO,” shows in empirical terms the intense loyalty Trump commands.
- The index measures both voting loyalty, based on FiveThirtyEight data, and whether members said anything critical on the record during seven of Trump’s biggest crises: his “Access Hollywood” recording, the initial travel ban on Muslim-majority nations, his comments on Charlottesville, his “shithole countries” remark, the “go back” tweet, his call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and his Bible photo op.
- You can search the “Loyalty Score” of your representative and senators in the above graphic.
By the numbers: In 2016, 42% of the 178 Republicans who have been in office since Trump's candidacy criticized him during the “Access Hollywood” fallout.
- In 2017, 19% criticized him for Charlottesville.
- In 2018, 18% criticized him for his “shithole countries” remark.
- In 2019, 15% criticized him for the “go back” tweet.
- In 2020, 12% criticized him for the Bible photo op/clearing of peaceful protesters.
— Richard Hine (@richardhine) October 13, 2020