Received this e-mail today from U.S. Senator Kamala Harris (D. CA) on behalf of MoveOn.org in support of Rep. Beto O’Rourke’s (D. TX) U.S. Senate campaign and U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin (D. WI) & Sherrod Brown’s (D. OH) re-election campaigns:
Dear MoveOn member,
Progressive champion Beto O'Rourke is looking unstoppable in his campaign to win the U.S. Senate seat now held by Ted Cruz! Three new polls out last week show Beto is within single digits of Cruz—leading The Dallas Morning News to say that “a seismic political shift is underway in Texas.”1
It's because Beto is running a bold, people-powered campaign. He's not taking money from PACs and has visited all 254 counties in the state to hear directly from voters. Beto is making issues like universal health care the heart of his campaign.2 And while Cruz is relying on big Republican donors, Beto is out-fundraising him with hundreds of thousands of grassroots donations.3
Even Cruz now admits the race is a “dead heat” and is warning his supporters they “can't let Texas turn blue.” He's clearly worried. And he just launched three false TV ads attacking Beto.4
We need to make sure Beto's campaign has the resources to fight back.
Will you chip in $3 now to help Beto beat Ted Cruz and also to help my Senate colleagues Tammy Baldwin in Wisconsin and Sherrod Brown in Ohio, who face tough races against right-wing candidates?
Pundits say we can't end GOP control of the Senate this year.5 But 2018 is about defying conventional expectations in the fight for the soul of our country.
The respected Cook Political Report just shifted Texas out of the “likely Republican” column, saying that Beto “has made incredible progress.”6 That's huge.
But coming close to Cruz is not enough. Beto needs to win. Texas could be the tipping point that ends GOP control of the Senate. But Texas is a HUGE state, and only about half of Texas voters have formed an opinion of Beto so far—which is why he's ramping up his campaign in a big way right now to reach more voters.7 Will you help out?
Meanwhile, in Ohio and Wisconsin, progressive champions Sherrod Brown and Tammy Baldwin are facing an avalanche of Big Money attack ads.8,9
These are two states that voted for President Obama twice but went to Trump in 2016—states where we absolutely must win to end Republican control of the Senate this year and to win the White House in 2020.
More important, Sherrod and Tammy have been in the trenches for years fighting for working people. They know what it's like to take on the Republican attack machine and win without sacrificing their principles. To stand up to Trump, I need them with me in the Senate.
These three states epitomize the battle for the future of this great country—one traditionally red state that's rapidly changing and two long-time swing states where working Americans are looking for champions who will fight for them.
And if we win these three races, we will have an excellent chance of ending GOP control of the U.S. Senate. Will you chip in $3 right now?
Thanks for all you do.
–Senator Kamala Harris
1. “Texas Senate contest nearly a dead heat: Ted Cruz leads Beto O'Rourke by 2 points in one new poll, 6 points in another,” The Dallas Morning News, August 1, 2018
2. “Healthcare,” Beto for Senate, accessed August 9, 2018
3. “Beto O'Rourke raises $10.4 million in second quarter of 2018, again outpacing Ted Cruz by wide margin,” The Texas Tribune, July 11, 2018
4. “Texas Senate contest nearly a dead heat: Ted Cruz leads Beto O'Rourke by 2 points in one new poll, 6 points in another,” The Dallas Morning News, August 1, 2018
5. “Senate Observations: Placing 2018 in the Context of Upper Chamber Elections Since 1913,” Sabato's Crystal Ball, August 2, 2018
6. “O’Rourke Puts Race into Lean Republican Column,” The Cook Political Report, August 3, 2018
7. “New polls show Ted Cruz could really lose in 2018,” Vox, August 3, 2018
8. “Koch-funded group launches another attack ad against Baldwin,” Star Tribune, July 11, 2018
9. “Group funded by Koch brothers to run ads for Jim Renacci,” Cleveland.com, May 25, 2018